Cranberry sauce is a staple of most holiday dinners – whether you like it jellied from a can, or making your own. But there are so many other fun things you can do with cranberries. You’ll love these recipes for Cranberry Moscow Mules; Cranberry Meatballs; and Cranberried Monte Cristo Strata, a great morning after breakfast or brunch that uses your leftover turkey and cranberry sauce.
Cranberry Ginger Moscow Mules
- 8 ounces ginger beer
- juice of 1 lime
- vodka, 1 shot/jigger
- 1 tbsp cranberry juice cocktail (the sweet stuff)
- raw cranberries and lime slices for garnish, optional
- Drop a handful of ice into your Moscow Mule copper mug and glass.
- Add vodka, ginger beer and top with cranberry juice.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze both halves into the drink mixture.
- Top with a handful of cranberries and garnish with a slice of lime and a sprig of rosemary.
An easy and delicious holiday appetizer.
Prep Time 5 minutes | Cook Time 25 minutes | Yield Makes 30 appetizer servings.
- 1 14-ounce can Ocean Spray® Jellied Cranberry Sauce
- 1 12-ounce bottle Heinz® Chili Sauce
- 1 2-pound bag frozen, pre-cooked, cocktail-size meatballs
Combine sauces in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring until smooth. Add meatballs. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until meatballs are heated through, stirring occasionally.
Makes 30 appetizer servings.
Slow cooker Preparation: Place meatballs in a slow cooker. Combine sauces and pour over meatballs. Cover and cook 4 hours on HIGH.
Cranberried Monte Cristo Strata
A great morning after breakfast or lunch that uses your leftover turkey and cranberry sauce.
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 1 cup chopped cooked turkey (1/4 pound)
- 1 cup chopped cooked ham (1/4 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 baguette (day old works fine)
- 1 14 – ounce can Ocean Spray® Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
- Spray 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Using serrated knife, cut baguette into 1/2-inch slices. Toast both sides until crisp and golden brown around edges.
- Mix 1/2 cup cranberry sauce and the mustard in small bowl. Spread over 1 side toasted baguette slices. Arrange half of slices, cranberry side up, in bottom of dish, overlapping if necessary. Sprinkle evenly with turkey, ham and cheese. Top with remaining toast, cranberry side down.
- Combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper and pepper sauce in large bowl; whisk until well blended and slightly frothy. Pour egg mixture carefully into baking dish, making sure bread is soaked with liquid. Cover; refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover baking dish. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until puffed and top is slightly golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend remaining cranberry sauce and the vinegar in small bowl. Just before serving, sift powdered sugar over strata. Top each serving with dollop of cranberry mixture.Makes 6 servings.Recipe is courtesy of Ocean Spray. This recipe was a 2009 Ultimate Cranberry Recipe Contest Finalist. Janice Elder. Charlotte, NC