Apples, Morning, Noon, and Night
Recipes courtesy, US Apples
It’s apple season. They’re delicious, nutritious, and you know what they say about one a day. Well here are three wonderful recipes that will apples for every meal.
Apple Avocado Breakfast Salad Print This Post
This avocado and apple salad is the perfect salad to get your or your kids’ day off to a good start! Most kids wouldn’t associate salads with breakfast, but this is a great way to break them in slowly, because it’s sweet and delicious! And, between the apples and avocado, they get lots of potassium, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and other essential nutrients.
- 1 avocado
- 1 apple
- 1 TBL raisins
- 1 TBL Walnuts
- 1/2 TBL honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Peel and chop apple. Place in bowl with a drop of water. Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Stir, microwave for 30 seconds longer.
- Cool apples! This step is to make them the same texture (soft) as the avocado.
- While your apples are cooling, mix together honey, vanilla, and cinnamon, until well combined.
- Drain any water from your bowl of apples.
- Chop your avocado and add it to the apples.
- Pour honey sauce over avocados and apples.
- Add raisins and walnuts, and stir gently.
- Add a hard-boiled egg and some whole wheat toast strips to make this a balanced breakfast, or serve as a side dish any time of day!
One-Dish Roasted Potatoes and Apples With Chicken Sausage Print This Post
- 3-4 red potatoes or your favorite potato variety (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 red apples (Fuji, Pink Lady, Honeycrisp, Gala, or similar variety)
- 1 yellow onion
- 4 chicken herb link sausages (12 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut potatoes into chunks, place in 2-quart baking dish. Drizzle with canola oil. Toss to coat. Roast potatoes in oven for about 20 minutes.
- While potatoes are roasting, cut apples and onion into chunks, and sausage into ½-inch slices.
- Remove baking dish from oven and reduce heat to 375 degrees. Add all remaining ingredients to baking dish and toss.
- Return baking dish to oven and roast an additional 30 minutes until apples and potatoes are tender.
Shredded Brussels Sprouts And Chunk Apple Sauté With Pork Tenderloin Print This Post
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, trimmed (or 12 oz package fresh shredded Brussels sprouts)
- 2 red apples
- 1 medium onion
- Pork tenderloin (about 1 lb), sliced 1” thick
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt, divided
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- ¼ cup raisins
- 2 tsp honey
- Shred or slice Brussels sprouts thinly. Coarsely chop onion. Cut apples into chunks.
- Season pork with pepper and ¼ tsp salt.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in large sauté pan. Add Brussels sprouts and onion; cook about 5 minutes. Add apples and raisins; cover with lid and cook another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove veggie and apple mizture and place in mixing bowl. Add salt, vinegar and honey, stir gently.
- Heat remaining oil in pan. Add pork, sauté turning occasionally with tongs until nearly done.
- Return mixture to pan with pork. Cook an additional 1-2 minutes.