This French omelette recipe is a classic and versatile favorite. Fill with cheese and ham or change it up by adding leftover cooked vegetables.
Invent your own fillings. Some classic omelet fillings include shredded Cheddar or Gruyere cheese, sour cream, diced ham, crisp bacon, sautéed mushrooms, bell peppers or tomatoes, caramelized onions, fresh herbs or even leftovers from last night’s dinner. Get more tips below the recipe.
Basic French Omelet Print This Post
Total Time: 7m |Prep Time: 2m | Cook Time: 5m | Yields: 1 Serving
- BEAT eggs, water, salt and pepper in small bowl until blended.
- HEAT butter in 6 to 8-inch nonstick omelet pan or skillet over medium-high heat until hot. TILT pan to coat bottom. POUR IN egg mixture. Mixture should set immediately at edges.
- GENTLY PUSH cooked portions from edges toward the center with inverted turner so that uncooked eggs can reach the hot pan surface. CONTINUE cooking, tilting pan and gently moving cooked portions as needed.
- When top surface of eggs is thickened and no visible liquid egg remains, PLACE filling on one side of the omelet. FOLD omelet in half with turner. With a quick flip of the wrist, turn pan and INVERT or SLIDE omelet onto plate. SERVE immediately.
What You Need
- 2 EGGS
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1/3 cup filling, such as shredded cheese, finely chopped ham