Eat Like a Celebrity
One of the hottest parties on Oscar night is Vanity Fair’s Oscar® Party. This year Chef Thomas Keller his team at Bouchon Beverly Hills carried on the tradition of hosting this party. 40 unique dishes and delicacies were served. Here’s the recipe for the Avocado Louie. Just picture Leo DeCaprio sharing a bit of it from his fork.
½ avocado, pitted
5 hearts of palms, cut into rings
4 radishes, chopped
5 celery stalks, shaved
3 pickled cucumbers
3 pickled mushrooms
2 asparagus tips
1 sugar snap pea
2 romanesco cauliflower
1 cherry tomato
2 pearl onions, sliced
1 tbsp. lemon vinaigrette
1 tbsp. green goddess puree
Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
Fleur de sel, to taste
- If you can, do your own pickling. Add cucumber parisiennes, hon shimeji mushrooms in a large bowl or jar with 1 part champagne vinegar, 1 part water, 1 part sugar. Let sit.
- In a pot of boiling water, blanch hearts of palm, green asparagus, snap pea and romanesco cauliflower until tender.
- Cut avocado in half. Trim the base so there is a flat surface. Trim the top and cut off any blemishes on the flesh. Brush the outside with lemon vinaigrette.
- Spoon green goddess puree (recipe below) onto plate and place avocado on top. Add the rest of the ingredients—have fun with it! Drizzle lightly with extra virgin olive oil. Season with fleur de sel.
Green Goddess Puree
1 ¾ cups mayonnaise
¾ cup crème fraiche
⅓ cup roasted garlic, pureed
2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
2⅔ cups herb puree (below)
Salt, to taste
Incorporate all ingredients in a food processor or blender, and combine well. Adjust to desired consistency and season to taste.
3 cups pickled parsley
2 cups baby spinach
1 cups pickled tarragon
1 cups dill
- In a pot of salted, boiling water, add all ingredients and stir well. Allow the herbs to cook until tender: they should disintegrate when pressed.
- Remove the cooked herbs with a slotted spoon place in a colander lined with cheese cloth or paper towel. (Ring out excess liquid to avoid the puree becoming too salty.)
- Place ingredients in a blender and blend on high (you might need to add a small amount of cold water to help it spin) to a smooth thick puree. Scrape the sides of the blender and pulse again. Let chill.