We love this new cook book, 5 EASY STEPS TO HEALTHY COOKING, 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness, by Camilla V. Saulsbury. The recipes are easy, healthy, and delicious and the book is so well organized in categories that it is sure to become a mainstay in your kitchen. The recipes incorporate the 5 Steps which are: choose fresh, whole foods; eat mostly vegetable and fruit-based foods; opt for healthy fats and proteins; select superfoods (nutrient-dense foods); and eat more whole grains. Want a sample? Check out this recipe for Spicy Chickpea Burgers that will please even those of us who are die-hard carnivores.
Spicy Chickpea Burgers (page 235)
Makes 4 servings
Great for Steps 2, 3, 4 and 5
This two-in-one indulgence combines the irresistible toppings of top-notch burgers – goat cheese and chiles – with the classic flavors of deep-fried falafels.
- 1 can (14 to 15 oz/398 to 425 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (4 oz /114 mL) diced mild green chiles
- 3⁄4 cup packed fresh cilantro or flat-leaf (Italian) parsley leaves
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3⁄4 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled soft goat cheese
- 4 whole-grain hamburger buns, split and toasted
- In food processor, combine chickpeas, chiles and cilantro; pulse until finely chopped.
- Transfer chickpea mixture to a medium bowl and stir in egg, bread crumbs, cumin, paprika and salt. Form into four 3⁄4-inch (2 cm) thick patties.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add patties and cook for 4 minutes. Turn and cook for 3 minutes. Top patties with goat cheese and cook for 1 minute or until patties are golden brown and hot in the center.
- Transfer patties to toasted buns. Top with any of the suggested accompaniments, as desired.
Tip: If you can only find larger 19-oz (540 mL) cans of chickpeas, you will need about 11⁄2 cans (3 cups/750 mL drained).
Nutrients per serving
- Calories 325
- Total fat 9 g
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 4 mg
- Sodium 553 mg
- Carbohydrate 48 g
- Fiber 8 g
- Protein 15 g
- Calcium 100 mg
- Iron 3.2 mg
Photos: Colin Erricson/www.robertrose.ca