Mr. Tomato’s Barbequed Turkey and Sausage Stuffing
Mr. Tomato’s Barbequed Turkey with Sausage Stuffing Print This Post
- 1 Box Bell’s Stuffing Mix
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups of water
- Turkey (13-20+lbs)
- Aluminum foil
- Throwaway aluminum turkey roasting pan
- Italian seasoning mix
- Fine sea salt
- Coarse black pepper
- Large pitcher of water
- Brown the sausage in a medium sized pan, if you are using links, cut into bite sizes then put aside. In the same pan over medium high heat melt the butter and sauté the celery and onion until the onion is transparent.
- Pour the Bell’s Stuffing mix into a large mixing bowl; add the sausage, onion and celery, and 3 ½ cups of water and mix gently. Cover with a dishcloth and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Start the grill. If using gas set heat on medium high: if charcoal, cover bottom of grill with ½ bag of Kingsford charcoal.
- Rinse out turkey and rub tablespoon of salt in the cavity. Loosely stuff the turkey and hook the legs together to close the cavity. Cover the bowl with the extra stuffing and put aside.
- Salt and pepper the turkey, then liberally sprinkle with Italian Seasoning.
- Put turkey in roasting pan and bring out to the side of the grill. Fill the roasting pan with about 2 inches of water. Tent the roasting pan with the foil, sealing it up tight. Put on grill.
- After one hour take the foil off. Add water to the pan to about 1 inch deep. Check the water level about every 15-20 minutes.
- It will take another 1 to 1 ½ hours to cook. You can use an instant read thermometer- 165 deg for the breast. Don’t rely on the plastic popup one. Wiggle the wing and when it falls off it’s done.
- Let stand 15 minutes, loosely covered with foil.
- Take out the stuffing and mix it in with the extra stuffing, cover the bowl and microwave for a couple of minutes.