Summer Avocado Recipes
California Chefs Share their Festive California Avocado Recipes
Recipes courtesy: California Avocado Commission
Summer is almost here, which also means that outdoor entertaining season is in full swing! There are so many reasons to gather with friends and family all summer long – from backyard barbecues, to Independence Day celebrations, to Labor Day picnics – and with California avocados in peak season, they are the ideal ingredient to include in your next get-together meal.
To inspire delectable American summer menus, the California Avocado Commission (CAC) has partnered with two of the Golden State’s top artisan chefs – Chef Pink and Chef Trey Foshee – to create unique and easy-to-make party recipes for hosts and hostesses everywhere looking for quick and creative ways to add California avocados into their summer entertaining spreads.
Chili and Honey Glazed Shrimp with California Avocado and Goat Cheese Print This Post
Recipe created by Chef Pink of Bacon and Brine for the California Avocado Commission
Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 1 hour and 5 minutes | Cook Time: 5 minutes |Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tangerine (zest and juice)
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp. chili flakes (preferably Korean gochugaru flakes)
- 1/4 cup and 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, divided
- 1 lb. (16-20 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup honey (preferably California avocado blossom)
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 fresh, ripe California Avocado, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 lime (zest and juice)
- 1/4 cup fresh goat cheese
- 2 tsp. cilantro, chopped
- Mix fish sauce, tangerine zest and juice, 1/8 tsp. salt, Korean chili flakes and 1/4 cup coconut oil in a medium bowl. Add shrimp and marinate for one hour.
- While shrimp marinates, combine honey, remaining coconut oil and coriander to create glaze.
- Skewer shrimp to bamboo or metal skewers.
- Place skewers over medium-heat grill until pink on one side (about 90 seconds), then flip until pink on the other side.
- Brush with glaze and cook one more minute per side; remove from grill.
- Toss avocado slices with lime zest and juice, and mix with goat cheese and cilantro.
- To serve, dress each shrimp with avocado mixture and finish with sea salt, to taste.
California Avocado Tropical Fruit Salad Print This Post
Recipe created by Chef Trey Foshee of George’s at the Cove and Galaxy Taco for the California Avocado Commission
Serves: 6 | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 0 minutes | Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups small mango wedges
- 2 cups small pineapple wedges
- 1 cup matchstick-cut jicama
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and sliced into thin half-moons hothouse cucumber
- 1/4 cup orange segments
- 2 cups small cubes seedless watermelon
- 2 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. Mexican chili powder (preferably Tajin®)
- 1 1/2 fresh, ripe California Avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 cup coconut, shaved and lightly toasted
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the mango, pineapple, jicama, cucumber, orange, watermelon and lime juice and enough Tajin® seasoning for your taste and toss to combine.
- Divide into six bowls. Place avocado slices on top, and garnish with the toasted coconut.
Note: Large avocados are recommended for these recipes. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Visit CaliforniaAvocado.com/American-Summer-Holidays for even more great recipes for your summer celebrations.