Beef Barley Soup with Spinach
Recipe courtesy BeefWhat’sForDinner.com
When fall arrives, soups arrive in our house. We can’t wait to try this one. Spinach adds a fresh boost to this beefy soup that’s just as classic as it is chock-full of flavor.
- 2-1/2 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 cups water
- 1 package (.9 to 1.43 ounces) dry onion-mushroom soup mix
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup medium pearled barley
- 4 cups loosely packed fresh baby spinach
- Combine beef, water, soup mix, thyme, salt and pepper in stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 60 minutes.
- Stir in barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering, covered, 45 minutes to 1 hour or until beef is fork-tender and barley is tender. Stir in spinach; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.