Sweet and Spicy Chicken Stew
Recipe courtesy chickenroost.com
* 2 Tbsp olive oil
* 1 green pepper, diced
* 2 Spanish onions, diced
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 ½ Tbsp chili powder
* 2 tsp Garam masala
* 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
* 1/8 tsp ground ginger
* ½ tsp kosher salt
* 2 tsp brown sugar
* 1 can (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes
* 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
* 1/2 cup raisins
* 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
* 1 can (14.5-ounce) white beans, drained and rinsed
* 4 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. In a Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat. When hot, add chicken and stir. Saute, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until chicken is browned on all sides.
3. Add green pepper, onions, and garlic. Stir and reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 6-7 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Add chili powder, Garam masala, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and brown sugar. Saute, stirring, for another 2 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, stock, raisins, and vinegar. Stir, raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for about 25-30 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
7. Add beans, stir, and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until beans are heated through. Serve (over rice, if desired) garnished with chopped parsley.
Nutritional Information, Per Serving: 260 calories; 11 g fat; 2.5 g saturated fat; 330 mg sodium; 23 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 10 g sugars; 19 g protein