Easy Recipes submitted by our Tomatoes
Now that we are sheltering in place, most of us are cooking, and for some Tomatoes that’s a relatively new experience. So we’re asking Tomatoes to share your simple to make recipes. Just email us with your recipe, and if you have a photo that’s great too, and we will publish it here.
Sweet and Savory Loaf or Meatballs
Submitted by Madlyn Epstein Steinhart (author of Put Your Boots on and Dance in the Rain)
- One can ocean spray jellied cranberry sauce
- 1 bottle Heinz chili sauce
- Double it for bigger portion
- 1 or 2 lbs ground turkey, chicken, or meatloaf mix.
- Make the meatballs the way you normally would. Or click here for an easy recipe. Set aside
- Pour sauces into pot and cook until cranberry sauce melts
- Add meatballs, and cook with lid on 45 minutes low temp.
- Serve over noodles or rice.
- Prepare and Bake as you usually would. Or click here for an easy recipe.
- Last ten minutes simmer the sauce and mash down with potato masker.
- Pour over meat loaf bake additional ten minutes.
Easy Chicken Salad
Submitted by Anne Akers, 3T Health and Beauty Editor
This recipe is easy, and healthy and perfect to make with leftover chicken.
- Chicken chopped or shredded (or put in a food processor, if you have one)
- Diced Celery
- Sliced almonds (available in packet)
- Toss with mayo and serve over greens
- You can also add a little honey and mustard for extra flavor
Pasta and a No Cook Tomato Sauce
Submitted by Cheryl Benton (aka the “Head Tomato”)
Makes 3-4 portions (depending on your appetite)
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes (any type will do)
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 6 large basil leaves (or dried basil)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup or more of grated parmigiana or romano cheese or fresh mozzarella (cubed)
- Cut the tomatoes in 1 inch chucks (if cherry tomatoes cut in half). (Pour all the juices into a bowl with the tomatoes.)
- Dice and add the garlic.
- Add the salt.
- Add the basil (cut into thin strips).
- Add the crushed pepper.
- Pour in the olive oil.
- Stir and fold to coat the mixture.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Marinate at room temperature for at least an hour.
After the sauce has marinated:
- Slice 2 Italian sausages ( ½ inch slices) and sauté. (Optional)
- Cook pasta (al dente). Drain.
- Now mix all the ingredients together.
- Add the cheese and serve.
And the wine? We served a lovely savignon blanc. A pinot grigio works well too.