“Hot Lips” Houlihan is in the House – An Interview with Loretta Swit
Our guest on this episode of The Three Tomatoes Happy Hour is Loretta Swit, who played the iconic Margaret “Hot Lips” Houlihan, on M*A*S*H, and what a delight she is. She was nominated for 10 Emmys for her role as Margaret “Hot Lips” Houlihan and won two Emmys. And while you know her as an incredible actress, you may not know about that she is also an accomplished artist and an animal rights activist. We talked about her incredibly beautiful book SwitHeart that features her extraordinary watercolors, and the proceeds from the book go to her nonprofit, Switheart Animal Alliance, which donates funds to various animal rights groups with a focus these days on military service dogs. And of course, we talked to her about M*A*S*H. It’s a great episode.
Listen below or wherever you listen to podcasts. (It may take a sec or 2 to load.)
Here are a few highlights of our conversation:
- Loretta is a passionate animal rights activist and non-profit, Switheart Animal Alliance, helps various animal groups. Her current focus is on military service dogs, bringing them home from, and reuniting them with when they can with the human military companions. She is working with Paws for Purple Hearts and Mission K9 Rescue.
- The proceeds from her beautiful book of watercolors, Switheart: The Watercolour Artistry & Animal Activism of Loretta Swit, go to help animals.
- She started painting at the age of 8
- M*A*S*H has never been off the air.
- The cast is not just friends, they are a family.
- How she helped develop the role of Margaret Houlihan and how she came to be a strong role model for women and girls
- Lessons from Hot Lips and Loretta to women, “You don’t need a man to complete you….you are enough.”