Veggie Protein Packed Meatloaf
Recipe courtsey of Elysabeth Alfano, plant based lifestyle expert
- Mushroom broth
- 1 overly full cup cooked/sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils in mushroom broth
- 1 cup cooked shelled chestnuts (seasonal) or 1 tempeh package
- 1 cup cooked quinoa in mushroom broth
- 5 roasted garlic cloves
- 1/2 HUGE onions, diced
- 3 celery sticks chopped and sautéed with onions
- 2 tsp basil
- 2 tsp oregano
- Heavily sprinkle salt/pepper
- Heavily sprinkle garlic salt
- 3 Tbs soy
- 2 Tbs teriaki
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 can tomato paste
- Juice of can of canned tomatoes
- Fresh rosemary on top for garnish
This recipe takes a bit of coordination, but don’t let that deter you. This Veggie Meatloaf packs an incredible protein punch of over 60 grams of protein, over 10g per serving.
Preheat oven to 400.
1. Put 5 garlic cloves in tinfoil and roast in over at 400 for 1 hour.
2. Cook lentils in mushroom broth. Separately cook quinoa in mushroom broth.
3. Saute mushrooms. Set aside.
4.Dice half large onion. Dice 3 celery stalks. Saute together.
5. Combine quinoa, peeled roasted garlic, lentils, onions and celery in food processor. Salt and pepper generously.
6. Put in enough olive oil to thinly cover pan. Pour in any mushroom juice from the sauted mushrooms, but not the mushrooms.
7. Chop up LightLife Tempeh Original Flavor into the size of ground meat. Add 1/2 contents of paprika, basil, oregano, soy sauce, teriyaki, garlic salt, salt/pepper, cumin. Saute and let sit until Tempeh takes in all juices.
8. Take contents of food processor and put in large bowl. Stir in mushrooms and tempeh.
9 Line a bread baking dish with parchment paper. Fill half way up with contents of bowl.
10. In a separate bowl, add tomato paste, tomato juice and the other 1/2 contents of paprika, basil, oregano, soy sauce, teriyaki, garlic salt, salt/pepper, cumin. Stir in until fully mixed.
10. Spread a thin layer of tomato mix on the half-filled baking dish. Fill with the rest of the contents of the big bowl. Spread the rest of the tomato mix on the top.
11. Put dried rosemary on top and bake for 40 minutes. Take out and let set for 4-6 hours. Either eat or refrigerate and serve the next day. If the latter, take out next day and reheat at 400 for 10-20 minutes. Slice and serve!
SUBSCRIBE to Awesome Vegans with Elysabeth Alfano on iTunes and on my Youtube Channel, Elysabeth Alfano. And be sure to subscribe to my monthly newsletter to never miss a Facebook Live interview session or live cooking demos. Plus, Instagram and