What Tomatoes are Cooking
Now that we are sheltering in place, most of us are cooking, and for some Tomatoes that’s a relatively new experience. So we’re asking Tomatoes to share your simple to make recipes. Just email us with your recipe, and if you have a photo that’s great too, and we will publish it here.
Italian Tuna Salad
Submitted by Margot Tohn, NYC entrepreneur
Total Time: 45 min | Prep: 15 min, Inactive: 30 min | Yield: 3 servings
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 1 (12-ounce) can solid white albacore tuna in water, drained
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted nicoise olives
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- Cannellini beans
- Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Suggested serving: whole grain breads or bountiful greens
- Cover the sun-dried tomatoes with hot water in a bowl. Set aside until soft, about 20 minutes, then drain, chop, and put in a medium bowl.
- To mellow the minced onion, soak it in cold water for 10 minutes, then drain it well, pat dry and add to the tomatoes.
- Add the tuna, breaking it into large chunks, along with the celery, olives, and capers, and toss to combine.
- Add the olive oil, lemon zest and juice, and basil and toss again.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
NO RONA Healing Pound Cake
Submitted by Carol Sue Gershman, chantuese, author, adventurere
- Beat 4 eggs at room temperature
- add i cup sugar, can be confecioners, brown or granulated.
- beat together till smooth
- Add 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup vegetable oil…… (you can use olive oil as well or combine them)
- 1 tbs vanilla
- Beat with above till smooth
- sift 1 1/2 cup flour…….
- 1 tbs baking powder
- p. s. you can use 1/2 lemon juice if you like a lemony flavor
- Beat all together.
- Put in loaf pan, spring mold pan GREASED WELL.
- Place into a pre-heated 350 oven. Bake for about 55 minutes or until the fork is clean.
Submitted by Madlyn Epstein Steinhart (author of Put Your Boots on and Dance in the Rain
Break up four to eight patties (beef, chicken, turkey, veggie)
Make sure you use nonstick pan with lots of Pam or nonstick spray.
If you have sloppy joe seasoning mix, then all you do is brown meat of choice, discard extra grease and add mix until browned.
If you don’t have mix, options are red wine and tomato sauce with tablespoon of garlic and onion powder. Adjust seasoning to taste.
You can substitute tomato sauce with a cup of turkey, chicken, or veggie broth, half cup of white wine, white wine Worcestershire sauce (or teriyaki) 1 tablespoon or 2 tablespoons (instead of wine.)
Seasoning of your choice, garlic and onion powder work after meat is drained.
This can be served over noodles, rice, cauliflower rice or baked potato (We prefer potato.) Baked potato can be made in microwave or oven.